Insects can be a real pain for us and our houseplants. Whether they come in from outside and make homes on our plants or they develop on our greens over time, here are some tricks that can help you prevent and cope with pests.
Here are some tricks to help you get ahead of the problem:
- A houseplant that is stressed from inadequate light is more likely to develop insect problems than one that is growing steadily so make sure your plant is getting the light that suits its needs.
- Dust can attract insects and harbor pests like spider mites so wash leaves regularly to prevent build-up of dust and dirt.
- Check for signs of insects with each watering because the earlier you catch any pest issues, the better chance you’ll have of controlling them.
If you've missed the warning signs and find yourself dealing with a pest issue, try some of these tips:
- Squish or wipe away small insects and webs with a damp cloth dipped in a mild detergent solution (e.g. standard dish soap).
- Shower your houseplants in your sink or tub with lukewarm water - this will disturb any insects that have taken home on your plants and will flush out their soil of build-up and residue.
- Prune affected leaves or branches to contain the pest problem from spreading.
*Protip: Push a clove of garlic into the plant’s soil, the smell will dissipate but will still be active enough to keep bugs away!
Our plant doctors are available 24/7 for any questions about keeping your plants happy and healthy! Email us anytime firstname.lastname@example.org